Société de l'Académie de Vaucluse
Society of the Vaucluse Academy
Although largely unknown to the general public, this grand lady has been active in Avignon for the past four centuries, having changed its name and residence many times:
in 1658, the Académie des émulateurs d'Avignon is founded
in 1801 it becomes the Lycée d'agriculture, des sciences et des arts
from 1802 to 1815, it’s called the Athénée de Vaucluse
finally, from 1815, the Académie de Vaucluse.
From January 1972, its home is one of the former private town houses of Avignon, l’hôtel Salvati-Palasse, at 5 rue Galante.
We would like to thank Mr. Jean Louis Charvet for his welcome and his ready accessibility.